Monday, October 7, 2013

Memories of Sleep




Memories of sleep: Inflatable Bed project (April/May 2013), plastic sheeting, fabric, string, fan, led lights.
This piece was created in response to a prompt to make a work that results from a week of rituals. My ritual for the week was to prolong going home (to my boyfriend, bed, and comfort) by an hour or so daily. During those times, I would sit and write, about the many other things I would have rather been doing. The resulting writings were embroidered onto the "quilt" in braille, chosen because I didn't want the audience to be able to read my exact sentiments. The title of the piece also poke fun at the lack of sleep that often occurs due to the demands of studio art classes. 
The diffused glow from the led lights in the darkened room this piece was installed in, couple with the slow shifting movements and resulting crinkling sounds of the plastic, the bed took on an otherworldly, almost alien presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment